Need Help?    Filtering  

HAL-PC Board of Directors

September 1, 2009

Approved MINUTES OF September 1, 2009
Houston Area League of PC Users, Inc.
4543 Post Oak Place
Houston, Texas 77027

John Furby, President
Rick Archibald, First VP
Robert Stewart, VP-Programs (by telephone)
Allan Holtzmann, VP-Communications (absent)
Annette Story, Recording Secretary
Pete Jamison, Membership Secretary
George Vaughn, Treasurer
Chris Read, Executive Committee Member (by telephone)
Jim Ward, Executive Committee Member

Meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m., John Furby presiding.

1.John Furby listed items for the meeting's agenda: rent payment, checks, Crowe letter, ISP colocation (status of bids), barbeque event, and Tech Fest.

2.The rent payment was discussed and George Vaughn stated that it was sent overnight to Dorothy McDonald at the office of RM Crowe and should be received today. Crowe has not yet contacted HAL-PC.

3.To know what checks to write, when to write them, and for what amount, George explained that the Office, as we requested in writing, needs to give us a list of each day's forecasted cash receipts and individual cash disbursements with a calculated unrestricted cash balance subtotal for that day which carries forward for that entire month to show how much cash we started the month with, how much we ended with, and the totals for cash receipts and cash disbursements. This list or report is our cash basis P&L.

4.George is meeting with David Crook, Gil Vila, and Jill Craig on Thursday, September 3, 2009 to discuss in detail the description of the requested items appearing on the "Business Office Accountability" document.

5.Checks to be signed with vouchers attached were delivered by David Crook for signatures.

6.John stated that only one other person has expressed an interest in talking about ISP colocation--Robert Gunn. Allan Holtzmann had made suggestions of 5 possible companies who might be interested in ISP colocation with HAL. An inquiry to Allan about that subject was emailed yesterday.

7.Chris Read and Annette Story will look at the request from Dean and Draper Insurance Agency to fill out paperwork for the liability and also the B&D insurance. John said that when paperwork is sent to Dean and Draper, a list of the Board of Directors and officers should be included.

8.Advantec sent a notice for HAL to make a choice in 2 days about which health insurance policy(ies) should be offered to employees. It was decided to continue with the current HMO.

9.Rick Archibald reported that there had been almost no advanced ticket sales for the Barbeque Event and next to zero people volunteered to help. Jim Ward made a motion to postpone the Barbeque Event for 6 to 8 weeks. The motion was seconded and after discussion was passed. A motion was made by Jim Ward to separate the Barbeque Education Fund Raiser and the Volunteer Luncheon so they would be two different events. The motion was seconded but after a brief discussion was tabled until the next Executive Committee Meeting. Notification of the postponement would be done in numerous ways: Pete Jamison will announce it on his Linux Blog, it will be announced at Build or Buy SIG and a request to notify all members by email, request the Webmaster to put it on the first page of the HAL-PC Website and on the eBulletin, and Chris Read will notify Clear Lake. A notice will be placed on the main office door of Headquarters in case anyone misses the announcement and comes on Monday, September 7, 2009.

10.Tech Fest on Saturday, September 26, 2009, University of Houston, Central Campus was discussed. HAL-PC is a sponsor and Allan Holtzmann, Pete Jamison, and Jim Ward will be working at the table. One hundred copies of the HAL-PC Trifold have been printed with the goal of 1500.

11.George announced that he had been told that HAL does not have Wind and Hail insurance. George offered to look into that insurance and have the information on Thursday, September 3, 2009, including the cost.

The next meeting will be Tuesday, September 8, 2009. (Meetings are every Tuesday.)

Jim Ward made a motion to adjourn at 7:09 p.m.