Need Help?    Filtering  

HAL-PC Board of Directors Agenda

July 21, 2009

Approved as corrected MINUTES OF July 21, 2009
Houston Area League of PC Users, Inc.
4543 Post Oak Place
Houston, Texas 77027

John Furby, President
Rick Archibald, First VP (SIGs)
Bob Stewart, VP-Programs
Allan Holtzmann, VP-Communications
Annette Story, Recording Secretary
Pete Jamison, Membership Secretary
George Vaughn, Treasurer
Chris Read, Executive Committee Member (absent)
Jim Ward, Executive Committee Member

Meeting was called to order at 6:05 p.m., John Furby presiding.

1.The president reported that he had delivered the corrected Accountability document and its accompanying letter to the office manager on July 20.

2.Bob Stewart asked if we are paying bills. John stated there has been nothing since the last meeting. George Vaughn said that we need day-to-day accounts payable and cash balance.

3.The question "Does HAL-PC have a credit card?" was asked.

4.The last check for AT&T was lost in the mail so the bill was paid electronically.

5.George Vaughn said our spend rate (disbursements) for the first 6 months of 2009 was $91,000. Revenue is $72,000. He doesn't know what the spend rate currently is. Revenue is unknown. There is too much variability on the revenue side. The expenses have not stabilized. Historically each year since 1999 we have spent more than revenue. Jill has brought the last 2 years up to date. Last tax return was 2005. We have not filed 2006 or 2007, and 2008 is due Nov 2009.
Jill has been working on cash reconciliations of Books versus Bank. Segment reporting has not yet been accomplished. (Line up revenue and expenses by functional areas like HALNet, magazine, membership, etc.)
It was suggested that Checks should be signed within a 5-day period each month.
John Furby had a statement that shows $41,000 in bank. There are 6 HAL-PC accounts. HAL-PC's cash has gone from $182,000 on Dec 31 to $41,000 around July 17, 2009.

We need to understand the procedures. Maybe our odd revenue trends are related to the timing of reconciliation and disbursements.
$ 92,000 loss for 2007
$112,000 loss for 2008

Need to cut $20,000/month.
Need to check about $120 charge for checks.

6.John Furby reminded us that three people can sign the checks but only 1 at a time. However, the preferred signature is John Furby's. Every bill payment must be authorized by one of the 3 people.

7.Jill Craig can supply reports to George for the information that is emailed to Accounting and the president accounts. Annette reported that Jim Ward had a preliminary filter of the president account to email to another account the transactions that are coming to President. Plan to send to another account so data can be used to create reports if it is decided they are needed.

8.George Vaughn asked for a summary report telling who has prepaid more than 1 month of HALNet services. Jim Ward agreed to try to provide it.

9.There was an outage this past Friday or Saturday that damaged Marie Todaro's old workstation. [When a write is done to a disk it can be damaged.] A hard drive was lost.

10.Question of who reports to whom. David is in charge of the office. Who is in charge of Tech support? Should DSL be in Tech Support? Robert Gunn reports to John Furby.

11.Problems with Prosperity Bank: Prosperity requires the signatories to be personally responsible for fees, etc; requires you to authorize personal credit checks and authorizes them to check personal employment background. Bob Stewart suggested a credit union rather than a bank.

12.Bob Stewart reported there is a Tech Fest on Saturday, September 26, 2009, University of Houston, Central Campus. Attendance is free. Costs $200/table to be a sponsor. Volunteers for the Tech Fest are Cal Wells, Joe Rich, Bob Stewart, Allan Holtzmann, Pete Jamison.

13.Pete Jamison reported that the Mail Merge process was completed for the renewal letters. Pete agreed to write the procedure for the mail merge. He also reported future plans on publicity such as Press Releases, Public Service Announcement (PSA), and Event Appearances. Pete agreed to write the procedure for the mail merge.

14.Rick Archibald reported on the Health IT Conference sponsored by Health SIG on July 31-August 2, 2009. They are interested in using HAL-PC facilities. Rick's been helping Fred Trotter. They will pay for it and guarantee 60 new HAL-PC members. They will pay for incidental expenses.

15.Question about meeting with RM Crowe. We don't have all the information they asked for. John will ask David to set up meeting anyway.

16.Odd-looking revenue trend.
What are the large costs of HAL-PC?
Payroll (Advantec, salaries, benefits), Lease, AT&T and other capacity vendor

Action Items Summary:
John Furby: Call George Roy about computer picked up on May 30, 2009.
Check on credit unions.
Call Gary Loh about coming to meeting with Crowe.

Other action items:
Set up Crowe meeting.
Jim Ward: Summarize prepaids for HALNet > 1 month.
Pete Jamison: Write procedure for renewal letter mail merge.

Next meeting will be Tuesday, July 28, 2009. Meetings every Tuesday.
Jim Ward made a motion to adjourn at 8:38 p.m., was seconded, and passed.