HAL-PC Board of Directors
Houston Area League of PC Users, Inc.
Board of Directors
Approved minutes of the March 25, 2010 regular Board of Directors Meeting.
Any corrections, changes, additions to these minutes will be provided following approval of the minutes by the Board.
HOUSTON AREA LEAGUE OF PC USERS
MINUTES OF March 25, 2010
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
Houston Area League of PC Users, Inc.
4543 Post Oak Place
Houston, Texas 77027
John Furby, President
Rick Archibald, First Vice President (SIGs) (absent)
(vacant) Vice President Programs
Robert Spotswood, Vice President Communications
Annette Story, Recording Secretary
(vacant) Membership Secretary
Chris Read, Executive Committee (absent)
Jim Ward, Executive Committee
Greg Brewer, Director
Kelly Brown, Director
Sibley Cooley, Director
T. Norman Crook, Director
Meredith Foster, Director
Robert Gunn, Director
Kojo Idrissa, Director
Michael J. Lempel, Director (absent)
Jerald Linsley, Director
Mary Ann Mitscherling, Director
John Molson, Director (absent)
Bernard Silverman, Director
Jim Story, Director
Russell Vesey, Director (absent)
2 HAL-PC members
I. The meeting was called to order at 7:06 PM, John Furby presiding.
II. Motion to accept the minutes as they are for the regular meeting held on February 25, 2010 was made and seconded. The motion passed.
President, John Furby
- John Furby reported that there was a break in at the garage location of HAL-PC's generator. The fence around the generator was cut and the battery stolen. John filed a police report, called the landlord RM Crowe, and reported it to the insurance company. RM Crowe sent a representative to view the damage and a security guard who inspected doors and fencing.
- Dorothy McDonald of RM Crowe asked for a meeting to discuss the lease. John responded that he would like to have the meeting last week but has received no reply.
- John reported that Board Member Jerald Linsley introduced some of the Executive Committee to a CPA who maybe will look at our records. We may move on that.
- John stated that the election of the Board of Directors would be soon, and then he deferred to Carla Cawlfield and Meredith Foster so they could talk about the election. Carla doesn't anticipate any major changes to what have been the election procedures over the last several years. Carla said that the "Call for Candidates" wuld be put out shortly. This is asking candidates to communicate their intent to run for the Board. Carla then explained the procedure for determining the number of open positions on the ballot. This determination is done in relation to when the magazine needs to be printed with the candidates' statements and the procedure for voting on line and when it needs to be mailed. She explained how the voting key, which is randomly generated, is available to all members. She will have a couple of election helpers. Director Kelly Brown suggested that a test of the voting software be run.
- John has been meeting with the post office to learn about mailing regulations for the HAL-PC publication(s).
- John stated the Executive Committee determined that for the election to be following what the Bylaws say in Article IV, Section K, that 12 2-year term Directors should be elected this year [any even numbered year] and next year there would be 11 2-year terms. A discussion followed because Meredith was concerned that the Executive Committee Board members were changing the conduct of the election or the total number of people elected. John stated that the Bylaws say how many are elected to 2-year terms and 1-year terms, not changing the total number of people elected. It is better we stay in sync with the Bylaws.
- Jerald Linsley stated that most of us were elected in the last year or during the year so who is lined up to run again. Someone answered that everybody that was elected in 2008 is off the board but can run again.
- John mentioned that the computers in the lab are old and it is hard to get parts for them. The Board should put on the HAL-PC Website that we would like to update our equipment so if anyone is updating their equipment then donate their old equipment to us. Hopefully the equipment would be less than 4 years old. If they donate it they will get a receipt.
- Webmail went down for a time. The problem was identified as a "spam attack." John passed on an idea that is one way of combating the problem. Give everyone Postini for 30 days. If, after 30 days they notify us that they don't want Postini then Postini is removed for them.
- An evaluation of our providing a wireless 4g internet for the same price as the DSL we currently providing. Clearwire is the company.
- Announcing again the need for volunteer help at the front desk to answer the phones.
- The suggestion of having student memberships was discussed. This would be individual membership. We need to look at the Bylaws. We are trying to get a younger group maybe this is a way. We could use Student ID's and have a maximum age.
- John said that he is looking to get some money from the "Greater Houston Community Foundation." Director Robert Gunn said that HAL-PC had money that this Foundation invested. It was a place for sheltering money.
First Vice-President, Rick Archibald, is ill.
- Rick Archibald was absent.
- John Furby said that Rick was talking with someone who wants to use the facilities in September. Greg Brewer said it was a forensic academy that wants the facility for a number of weeks.
Director Sibley Cooley reported that Director Russell Vesey died about 3 weeks ago. He had a heart condition and died at home of a heart attack.
Vice-President Communications, Robert Spotswood
- Robert Spotswood reported that John Furby and Meredith are working on newsletter ideas.
Vice President Programs or Membership Secretary--vacant. No reports.
- John Furby reported that we are carefully watching the bank balance and reports. Right now there are just 2 Executive Committee Members since the resignation of the Treasurer.
- Chris Read has been working with AT&T on disputed payments for bills for AT&T DSL2 account.
Ad Hoc Real Estate Committee
Ad Hoc Colocation Committee
IV. Old Business
- Status of Auction: Director Bernard Silverman stated that he has had so much to do at his new job so I have to put the auction off. "Hopefully I can do it at the end of next month." Director Mary Ann Mitscherling suggested that if we were going to delay the auction maybe a good time would be during the election itself.
- Tabled motion concerning Net Star was left tabled.
- Motion to Elect Vice-President Programs
Jerald Linsley moved that we elect Vice-President of Programs with a second by Greg Brewer. John Furby asked and there were no other candidates. Discussion. John asked for those in favor of electing VP Programs and none were opposed. Jim Story moves that we elect Sibley Cooley to be VP of Programs; seconded by Jim Ward. No discussion and Jerald called the question. The motion carried so Sibley Cooley was elected VP Programs. Sibley asked what people wanted and Meredith suggested that we have Microsoft talk about Microsoft Office 2010 at the General Meeting. Open Office was also suggested.
V. New Business
- A motion was made and passed to table the election of the Treasurer.
- John Furby stated that there was not reason to address the motion to revise nominating and voting notification procedures.
- Director Meredith Foster stated that we should go back to including the text of motions with the agenda that is sent out 5 days before the meeting.
VI. Motion to adjourn was made, seconded, and passed at 8:03p.m.
Next regular Board of Directors meeting is scheduled for April 22, 2010.
HAL-PC Recording Secretary